Some cool aluminum prototype machining photos:
Triumph X-75 1972
Image by tautaudu02
C’est en avril 1969 que Don Brown, vice-président de BSA USA, demande à Craig Vetter, designer américain de 27 ans basé dans l’Illinois, d’exercer son art sur une base BSA Rocket three, les ventes étant timorées sur le marché américain. Don Brown veut montrer aux anglais ce que le marché US attend. A la fin de l’année, le projet est finalisé et séduit Don Brown qui expédie le prototype en Angleterre.
Ce n’est qu’en fin 1971 que Doug Hele et Bert Hopwood décident de lancer la production de 1200 cadres et moteurs. Le nom BSA est alors retiré pour celui de Triumph et au final, fin 1973, ce seront 1158 machines qui auront été assemblées pratiquement toutes pour le marché US.
Les modifications signifiantes portaient sur la fourche rallongée et des T en aluminium, une culasse à grandes ailettes, une roue de 18" à l’arrière, une transmission secondaire plus courte, l’habillage avec la coque selle réservoir en polyester et les trois échappements du même côté.
German L.G.40 75mm Airborne Recoilless Gun
Image by Fidgit the Time Bandit
The very first show reads:
The Battle of the Bulge, near Bastogne, Belgium, December 1944
On December 16, 1944 the German Army launched a enormous counteroffensive against U.S. forces in the rugged Ardennes region of Belgium. The German attack came as a comprehensive surprise and a lot of American units have been overrun or surrounded like elements of the 101st Airborne and the 10th Armored Divisions in and about the key crossroads town of Bastogne.
Amongst the units encircled was the 420th Armored Field Artillery Battalion situated near Senonchamps southwest of Bastogne. This M7 Priest has chosen a firing position behind the garden wall of a ruined farmhouse previously occupied by a German airborne recoiless gun. Here the Bravo Battery Commander has pulled his jeep in alongside one particular of his Priests to bring desperately required resupply of ammunition. As the ammunition is handed up to the gun crew, the Battery Commander confers with the Gun Chief on the subsequent fire mission.
The second show reads:
M7 Howitzer Motor Carriage, Priest
Improvement of the M7 self-propelled howitzer began in June, 1941, with the Army’s require for a self-propelled version of the 105mm field howitzer. The very first M7s entered service in the spring of 1942 and very first saw action with the British in North Africa. The M7 was nicknamed the Priest by the British because the .50 caliber ring mount resembled a European church pulpit. The Priest was utilized extensively in Globe War II as the major artillery assistance for American armored divisions with 54 M7s in the divisional artillery. The M7 model was constructed on an M3 Lee / Grant tank chassis, until production of the M3 ended in December 1942. M7s developed from January 1943 were built on the M4 Sherman tank chassis and featured a cast, a single piece, hull front. More than 4200 M7s had been constructed prior to production ended in February 1945. This late production M7 was made by American Locomotive in September 1944
Crew: 7 – Commander, Gunner, Driver, 4 ammunition guys
Armament: M2A1 105mm Howitzer / M2 .50 caliber machine-gun
Gun Variety: 10,424 meters
Elevation: – five degrees and + 35 degrees
Traverse: 45 degrees (15 left & 30 right)
Weight: 25 tons
Engine: Continental R975 air-cooled radial engine
Size: 19 ft. 9 in., 9 ft. five in., 9 ft. 7 in.
Speed: Road 26 MPH, Cross Nation 15 MPH
Variety: 125 miles
The third display reads:
1/4 ton Truck 4×4, Jeep
The most famously and broadly used car of Globe War II, the jeep was an automotive milestone. The original car was made by Bantam Car Organization in 1940. Willys-Overland and Ford have been also developing prototypes. All three organizations received contracts to make 1,500 cars, even although only the Bantam model had been completed and delivered for testing. Willys won the initial contract and Ford created a comparable version ultimately the exact same vehicle was standardized in 1943. This resulted in 639,000 Jeeps by the end of the war. The name Jeep is thought to be from the letters GP that designated the Ford model and also from Eugene the "jeep" who was a sidekick in Popeye comic strips at the time. Eugene could do practically anything which is what the jeep did throughout the war. Peep was also a typical term for the jeep. These reliable small trucks were utilized as the principal car for artillery observers in the course of the war. This jeep was made under contract from Willy’s and delivered to the US Army in November 1943.
Crew: Driver and 3 passengers
Armament: None but built to carry a .30 caliber machine gun
Weight: 2450 lbs.
Engine: 4-cylinder, water-cooled, gasoline, 65 HP at 4000 RPM
Size: 11 ft, five ft. 2 in., 4 ft. 6 in.
Speed: 55 MPH
Variety: 225 miles
The final show reads:
German L.G.40 75mm Airborne Recoilless Gun
Designed for use by German airborne troops, this light gun operates with out a recoil technique by venting some of the propellant gases to the rear. As with all recoilless weapons, the crew had to be clear of the back blast location when firing. Initially designated as the L.G.1 (L), the L.G. 40 was initial utilized throughout the German airborne invasion of Crete in May 1941. It was also employed by some infantry and mountain units. It fired high explosive, hollow charge and armor piercing rounds. The carriage was produced largely of aluminum alloy to reduce weight, permitting it to be dropped by parachute in two wicker containers. This L.G. 40 was produced by Rheinmetall A.G. in Dusseldorf.
Weight: 321 lbs.
Gun Length: 45 inches
Elevation: – 15 to + 20 degrees
Traverse: 60 degrees
Shell: Higher Explosive, Armor Piercing, Hollow Charge
Muzzle Velocity: 1,238 ft. / sec
Maximum Variety: eight,500 yards
Taken July 7th, 2012.